Skip to main content

Safety and Wellness

With low crime rates and a world-class health system, when you live in Perth you’ll always feel safe and supported.

Staying safe and well in Perth

Perth consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities, and part of that is due to the safe, secure and stress-free lifestyle available to residents.

With low crime rates, a world-class health system and a friendly, welcoming community, Perth is a city where you can live a happy, healthy life.

While you’re here, it is still important to take care and look after yourself so your time in Perth is memorable for all the right reasons.

Healthcare in Perth

Perth boasts a world-class healthcare system that provides high-quality medical care to both residents and visitors.

As an overseas student, you will need to have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) to access most healthcare services.

Your educational institution will arrange health cover for you and will most likely have an agreement with a specific OSHC provider. You do not have to stay with this provider if you would prefer to switch to another.

Healthcare services covered by OSHC

OSHC providers allow you to claim 100 per cent of the government-set fee for a standard medical consultation.

OSHC covers:

  • Doctor's visits
  • Stay in a public hospital
  • Ambulance services (when hospital admission is necessary)
  • Some prescription medicines

OSHC does not cover:

  • Dental
  • Optical
  • Physiotherapy

To cover these additional services, we strongly recommend that you take out additional private health insurance.

Overseas Student Health Cover providers

AHM is one of Australia’s largest health insurers providing affordable health insurance for overseas students studying in Australia.

AHM OSHC also provides services to help students settle into Australian school life. These include orientations, interpreter services, emergency medical assistance, stress and trauma counselling, direct billing and more. AHM OSHC also offers Extras cover if required.

Find out more about AHM’s health cover here.

Allianz Care Australia is one of Australia’s largest OSHC providers.

Allianz benefits include:

  • Allianz Care Telehealth powered by Doctors on Demand
  • Access a health professional from the comfort of your home. Allianz Care Australia OSHC members have access to a qualified doctor 24/7 via phone or video call.

Hospital in the Home

We offer a Hospital in the Home treatment model. For a number of conditions you could stay in the comfort of your home and have a medical specialist come to you.

Find out more information on overseas student cover here.

Bupa is a leading global health and care company, operating in more than 190 countries. In Australia, Bupa is the largest private health insurer, drawing on their international expertise and experience to provide members with better healthcare services, support and advice.

Bupa Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) can help ensure you’ll be covered for the cost of medical treatments if you get sick or have an accident, plus help you meet your visa requirements. As a Bupa member, you will also have access to great member benefits and exclusives as well as access to a large network of support including a 24-hour student support line, extensive doctor networks and more.

Find out more about Bupa’s cover here.

Medibank Private is one of Australia’s largest private health insurers offering students additional services as part of their OSHC including:

  • Face-to-face service at about 100 Medibank stores across Australia
  • 24/7 emergency assistance (call 1800 234 601)
  • Access to discounts on things like movie tickets and magazine subscriptions through feel better Rewards.

Find out more about Medibank Private health cover here.

Staying safe on campus

There are always fun and exciting things to do on campus but it’s important to make sure you’re safe. Here are some simple tips to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience on campus.

Familiarize yourself with emergency procedures: Take some time to learn about the emergency procedures on your campus. Find out where emergency phones are located, memorise the number for campus security. Most campuses in Perth will have Security officers that are available 24/7. Security can walk you to your car, bus stop or accommodation after-hours.

Keep your friends and family updated: Let your friends and family know your schedule, especially if you're planning to stay out late or travel off campus. Consider using a tracking app to share your location with trusted contacts.

Avoid walking alone at night: If you must walk alone at night, try to stick to well-lit and well-travelled areas. Stay aware of your surroundings and avoid wearing headphones or using your phone.

Mental health while studying

Taking care of your mental health while studying is important. Make sure to create a balanced routine with breaks and self-care. Don't forget to exercise and get enough rest for better focus. Set achievable goals and manage your time wisely to avoid feeling overwhelmed. Reach out for support from friends, family, or counselling services when you need it. Take time for hobbies, mindfulness, and staying connected with others.

For further assistance and services, visit Mental Health Commission of WA.

Staying safe online

Cybersecurity and avoiding scams are vital for your online safety. With technology playing a huge role in education, it's crucial to protect your personal information and academic data. Here are some ways you can stay safe online:

  • Learn about strong passwords, safe browsing, and keeping your software up to date to defend against cyber threats
  • Be wary of scams targeting students and avoid sharing personal details with unknown sources
  • Stay vigilant with suspicious emails and verify the authenticity of websites before providing any information

For more information on cybersecurity, explore the Cyber Security Awareness Toolkit.

Where to find help

Beyond Blue provides information and support to help everyone in Australia achieve their best possible mental health, whatever their age and wherever they live. Their website is full of amazing resources and you will be able to talk to a professional via phone, email or even instant messaging.

Learn more

Lifeline is a national charity providing all Australians experiencing a personal crisis with access to 24 hour crisis support. Again, their website is full of resources and you can connect with someone to chat on the phone or on instant messaging, any day, any time of the week.

Learn more

Multicultural Futures is a dynamic, charitable organisation that works in partnership with government and other service providers to support migrants and refugees as they build a new life in Australia.

Learn more

Headspace provides tailored and holistic mental health support to 12-25 year olds. With a focus on early intervention, the team works with young people to provide support at a crucial time in their lives – to help get them back on track and strengthen their ability to manage their mental health in the future.

Learn more

Think of an embassy as a country's official office in another country. It's where people from your home country work to protect you and look after your country's interests in Australia. It's like a mini version of your country's government in Australia. 

What can an embassy, consul general or representative office help you with?

  • Issuing emergency passports (if yours is lost, stolen or damaged)
  • Replacing/renewing your passport
  • Assisting residents who get arrested or detained abroad
  • Assisting with emergency/evacuation situations 
  • Issuing birth reports for children born abroad
  • Accepting ballots for elections in a person's home country
  • Filing taxes in a person's home country

Click here to see a list of the representative offices in Perth.

Dial 000 for an emergency

In case of an emergency, dial 000 to contact the police, fire brigade or ambulance. The call is free of charge from any phone or mobile.

Beach and sun safety

Perth is renowned for its world-class beaches so there’s no doubt you’ll be spending plenty of time there, especially during the warmer months.

To make your day at the beach a safe and memorable one, follow these guidelines:

  1. As a general rule, always swim on beaches patrolled by Western Australian Surf Lifesavers
  2. Always swim between the red and yellow flags on beaches with lifeguards and surf lifesavers
  3. Look for the beach signs at the entrance to the beach. They provide information and warnings and let you know what the signs on the beach mean.
  4. Always swim with a friend, never alone
  5. Never swim under the influence of alcohol or after a big meal

It’s also important to protect yourself from the sun’s harsh UV rays.

The easiest way to do this is by using sunscreen, which is readily available in supermarkets, convenience stores, and pharmacies, and wearing sun-smart clothing, including a hat and sunglasses.

StudyPerth free health and wellbeing support services

We’re committed to supporting you and your positive wellbeing to help you succeed in your studies and other areas of your life. You can take advantage of the following free services if you're an international student in Perth.

We have partnered with Multicultural Services Centre of WA (MSCWA) to create a safe space to offer free counselling sessions, available in various languages.

Counselling sessions are available virtually (via Zoom or Teams) or in person at one of MSCWA’s offices. We will connect you with the right information, referrals and practical support and you can be confident all matters will remain confidential.

With our completely confidential service, you will:

  • Be treated with respect
  • Receive competent, professional and ethical service that is culturally and linguistically appropriate
  • Be able to discuss your options available
  • Receive a clear explanation of the service you are provided
  • Be able to discuss and review treatment goals at any time

What it can help with

  • Anxiety or depression
  • Traumatic events (recent or those in the past)
  • Problematic use of alcohol and/or other drugs
  • Sexuality
  • Pre-existing mental health concerns
  • Other circumstances which may be distressing or bothering you

How to book

To book an appointment, you may either: Email MSCWA directly to arrange a time, or reach out to our friendly Customer Service Officer in our Student Hub or email for assistance with booking.

To help international students understand their legal rights, StudyPerth will provide FREE legal advice through our partner Circle Green.

Circle Green provides essential legal assistance services to commonly asked questions about laws in Australia, as well as on-the-go legal information about any legal matter related to:

  • Employment and workplace rights
  • Private disputes and sexual assault
  • Education provider disputes
  • Housing/tenancy issues

Circle Green will provide direct referrals to  partner organisations for the following legal assistance services:

  • Motor Vehicle accidents
  • Debts and fines
  • Domestic violence

How to book?

Complete the form below with your details, and Circle Green will contact you soon.

Connect with our student community

Make new connections and form lifelong friendships by attending our range of events designed to help international students get the most out of their Perth experience.