Student accommodation

International student accommodation is as varied as the requirements of students themselves! Perth has many options available to suit your needs.

If you are a secondary school student, you must live in a homestay with an Australian family or in the school’s boarding facilities.

If you are aged 18 years or older, you can choose to live on-campus, in a homestay or in a shared rental house/apartment with other students or friends. You may even choose to stay at one of Perth's newest dedicated student accommodation providers: Campus Perth, The Boulevard (managed by The Student Housing Company) or The Switch.


On-Campus Student Accommodation

Cost: $90 to $280AUD per week

Western Australia’s universities and some vocational institutions offer full-time students a variety of accommodation options such as apartments and residential colleges or halls.

Residential halls are located on or near the campus grounds. They usually consist of up to six rooms per unit with a communal living room and kitchen. Your fees will include some cleaning services, with some residences also providing meals.

Residential colleges are slightly more costly, providing accommodation and meals. They may also have sporting and social facilities, tutoring, libraries and computer facilities.

Each institution will have different accommodation options, so it is best to enquire with the institution directly to discuss on-campus accommodation.




Cost: $235 to $325AUD per week

Homestay means living with an Australian family for all or part of your study period. It is a great way to learn conversational English and experience first-hand the friendly Western Australian lifestyle and culture.

Single or shared rooms are usually available. Meals are usually included, but cheaper self-catering homestay options are available. As you will be living in someone else’s home, you will be expected to clean up after yourself, especially in shared areas.

When choosing your Homestay company, please ensure the company adheres to the Australian Government Schools International (AGSI) Homestay Standards.

Boarding Schools

Cost: $11,000 to $22,000AUD per year

Many private secondary schools provide accommodation, meals and laundry services for international students. Tuition fees are in addition to the boarding fees. You will live in a dormitory with other students of the same sex and will be supervised by adults.

Search boarding schools

Renting a room
If you cannot afford the upfront costs of renting a property, you may want to consider renting a room. Students and families often rent out furnished spare rooms in their houses and apartments, as this can be a great way to live independently without the expense of renting on your own. Use websites such as or to search for rooms for rent in Perth.

Search rooms for rent

Youth hostels and guest houses

Cost:$90 to $160AUD per week

Hostels are either privately-owned or run by not-for-profit organisations such as Youth Hostels Australia (YHA). Perth City YHA as well as Fremantle Prison YHA offer dedicated Twin Share and Single Student Rooms with personal desks and five-star facilities like a swimming pool, movie room, communal kitchen and a shared bathroom. You can also search for privately-owned youth hostels in Perth.

Search Perth hostels