Skip to main content

Emergency contacts and assistance

Feel happy, healthy, safe and supported with access to all the assistance you may need during your time here in Western Australia.

Support to keep you safe and healthy

As one of the world's most liveable cities, Perth is known for its safe, secure and stress-free lifestyle.

But, despite the city's safety and security, it’s still important to know who to contact should you ever need assistance.

From emergency services to healthcare providers, know who to contact and how to contact them so you’ll have the peace of mind knowing support is always there if you need it.

For more information, visit our Safety and Wellness page.

Support when you need it

Dial 000 for an emergency 

In case of an emergency, dial 000 to contact the police, fire brigade or ambulance.

The call is free of charge from any phone or mobile. In Australia you can also dial 112 from mobile phones if you are out of phone network range.

What to expect when you dial 000

When dialling 000, it is important to state whether you require the police, fire department, or ambulance services.

If you need an interpreter, let the operator know and, in English, tell them what language you speak.

  1. Once you're connected to the service you need, the operator will ask a series of questions to determine how they can best help you.

  2. The person talking to you is trained and knows what to do. Listen carefully to their instructions.

  3. The operator might inquire about your location, including your address and the phone number you're using to make the call.

  4. Tell the operator exactly where to come. Give an exact address or location. The operator may ask what the nearest intersection (cross street) is.

  5. During the call, stay calm. Speak slowly and clearly and avoid shouting or screaming.

If you have a hearing or speech impairment, dial 106

If you are deaf or have a speech or hearing impairment call 106.

  1. 106 is a Text Emergency Call. Do not SMS, call instead.

  2. You can call 106 from teletypewriters.

  3. Tell the system which service you need and where to come.

For police assistance that isn’t an emergency, call 131 444.

Reporting a crime

If you need to report a crime that is not an emergency, call 131 444 for the Police Assistance Line, or ask someone in authority at your school, college or university to contact the local police station on your behalf. In addition, you can report a crime in person at your nearest police station.

If you would prefer to report a crime anonymously, call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

In case of a health crisis where an ambulance is not required, most major hospitals have emergency departments that you can visit. If you go to an emergency department, you will be assessed by a health professional.

You may have to wait to be appropriately assessed, depending on how many people are in the emergency department when you arrive. Generally, patients are triaged based on the urgency of their needs. 

You may be asked to provide details of your health insurance, so remember to take your health insurance documents with you when you go to the hospital.

Find a list of Hospital Emergency Departments here.

Mental Health Emergency Response Line

The Mental Health Emergency Response Line (MHERL) is a 24-hour telephone service for people in the Perth metropolitan area experiencing a mental health crisis.

It provides contact with a trained mental health clinician who can provide:

  • mental health assessment

  • crisis support, crisis planning and brief intervention

  • mental health system navigation

  • mental health information and advice

  • referral to a mental health or emergency service when more than telephone support is required.

You can also contact Lifeline’s 24-hour crisis phone line on 131 114. 

WA Poisons Information Centre

Call 13 11 26 (24hrs a day)

If you or someone nearby has been poisoned, overdosed, or made a mistake with medication, it's important to seek immediate assistance. The WA Poisons Information Centre helpline is available 24/7 and can provide guidance in these situations. 

They can also offer help if someone has been bitten or stung by a venomous animal such as a snake, spider, bee, wasp, or other poisonous creature. 

Don't hesitate to call the helpline if you need urgent support.

Urgent dental care

Do you need urgent dental care?

Please do not present to clinics without an appointment.

Click here to find your nearest clinic or contact (08) 9313 0555.

Perth boasts a world-class healthcare system that provides high-quality medical care to both residents and visitors. 

As an overseas student, you will need to have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) to access most healthcare services.

Are you feeling sick? 

Find your local GP/doctor here.

You can also book GP appointments through helpful apps like HealthEngine and HotDoc.

After Hours GP

Call Healthdirect free on 1800 022 222 for After Hours GP helpline.


To find a pharmacy click here.

To find any other medical profession or health service in WA click here.