Skip to main content

International student rentals

From single rooms to whole houses, renting in Perth offers you the flexibility, affordability, and convenience you’ve been looking for.

Renting a room or house in Perth

Due to its flexibility and convenience, renting a room or house in Perth is a popular accommodation choice for international students.

The rental market in Perth is incredibly competitive, however, with low vacancy rates and high demand. 

To make your stay as enjoyable as possible, we recommend that you secure short-term accommodation prior to arriving so you can take your time finding your perfect rental.

What you’ll need to rent in Perth:

  • Your identification
  • Student Visa
  • Proof of Enrollment
  • Financial statements (proof of income, bank statements, guarantor letter etc)
  • References

Renting a room in Perth

Affordable and convenient, renting a room in Perth will save you the upfront costs that come with renting a whole house.

A great way to live independently without the expense of renting on your own, furnished and unfurnished rooms for rent are available in apartments and share houses right across Perth.


  • Independent living
  • More affordable than renting on your own
  • Great opportunity to meet people
  • Shared bills

Average price of renting a room in Perth:
$200AUD per week to $450AUD per week

Renting a house in Perth

Why just settle for renting a room, when you can rent a whole house?

A great way to get to know people and explore Perth together, you and your friends can pool your resources together and get the added benefits that come with having a whole house to yourselves.


  • More space and privacy
  • Greater ability to entertain friends
  • Can be more cost-effective in the long run
  • More stability and security

Average price of renting a house in Perth:
$440AUD per week to $750AUD per week

Get the knowledge and tools you need to succeed in the competitive Perth rental market.

With expert guidance and practical advice, this webinar will equip you with the knowledge and tools that you need to succeed in the competitive housing market.


Watch the webinar

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

In Australia, there are multiple methods available for rent payment. These include direct debit through a bank, using BPAY as an electronic payment option, or paying in person with a card or cash. Your real estate agent or landlord will provide you with a few choices or specify a preferred method.

When renting privately or in managed student accommodation, it's necessary to pay a bond in advance. This bond will be refunded at the conclusion of your agreement, provided no damages have occurred and your rent payments are in good standing. In the case of private rentals, the bond amount cannot legally exceed four weeks' rent. Ensure that you receive a receipt for all monetary transactions with your landlord or real estate agent, including the bond payment, and obtain a bond authority lodgement notice from the WA Department of Commerce.

Before bringing a pet into your life, be sure to do your research. Consider the size of the pet, its living arrangements, the amount of time you can dedicate to its care, and what will happen to it when you're away or travelling. Additionally, assess if you have the financial means to provide proper care. Familiarise yourself with the rules and requirements of pet ownership, as they may differ from what you're used to.

Instead, you might like to foster an animal if keeping a long-term pet is not an option. Not only will you be given the basic supplies, but you can also enjoy the company for a while before they get adopted into the perfect home.

In Western Australia, renters can access a range of support services:

  • Tenancy WA offers free advice and advocacy, while Consumer Protection WA provides guidance on consumer rights.
  • The Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA) manages rental bonds and helps with disputes.
  • The Financial Counselling Helpline assists renters facing financial difficulties, and community legal centers offer legal advice.

It's advisable to contact these organisations directly for the latest information and specific services available.

Food and groceries

From the start, set up a system for grocery shopping and clearly define which food items are meant to be shared. Refrain from eating anything that doesn't belong to you or isn't marked as a communal item.

Guest etiquette

Keeping open lines of communication with your housemates is key when it comes to dealing with guests. It's important to establish guidelines regarding the duration of their stay, when they can be around, and which areas or rooms are considered shared spaces.


Think about setting up a cleaning schedule, taking into account that different housemates may have preferences for specific tasks. Remember, you're still in charge of handling your own dishes, laundry and keeping your personal space neat and tidy.


Ensure you stay on top of rent payments and send them to the correct recipient without delay. It could be either a head housemate if that's the arrangement, or you might need to make individual payments to the real estate agent or landlord. 


Make sure you've got a plan for splitting and paying the bills. Usually, one person would be in charge of handling the bills. Make sure they're paid on time, similar to your rent, to steer clear of any household disputes. 

Moving out

Always be prepared if someone decides to move out. Ahead of time, it's best to figure out what the process will look like and how much notice they should give you, and whether you need to inform your property manager or landlord.

Join the Perth International Students Facebook group

Connect with a wonderful community of international students currently living in Perth. It’s also a great place to find accommodation with rooms and properties regularly advertised.