Skip to content

Renting a Room or House in Perth

Rent a room in Perth

If you cannot afford the upfront costs of renting a property, you may want to consider renting a room.

Students and families often rent out furnished spare rooms in their houses and apartments, as this can be a great way to live independently without the expense of renting on your own.

Use websites such as or to search for rooms for rent in Perth, Western Australia.

Search rooms for rent

Rent a house in Perth

You may meet a group of friends at your education institution who have common interests, lifestyles and budgets - so it may be worth pooling your resources and renting a private house you can share!

It can be a great way to get to know people and explore Perth together.

Find a house to rent

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

  • How do I pay rent?

    In Australia, there are multiple methods available for rent payment. These include direct debit through a bank, using BPAY as an electronic payment option, or paying in person with a card or cash. Your real estate agent or landlord will provide you with a few choices or specify a preferred method.

  • What happens to my bond?

    When renting privately or in managed student accommodation, it's necessary to pay a bond in advance. This bond will be refunded at the conclusion of your agreement, provided no damages have occurred and your rent payments are in good standing. In the case of private rentals, the bond amount cannot legally exceed four weeks' rent. Ensure that you receive a receipt for all monetary transactions with your landlord or real estate agent, including the bond payment, and obtain a bond authority lodgement notice from the WA Department of Commerce.

  • Can I get a pet?

    Before bringing a pet into your life, be sure to do your research. Consider the size of the pet, its living arrangements, the amount of time you can dedicate to its care, and what will happen to it when you're away or travelling. Additionally, assess if you have the financial means to provide proper care. Familiarise yourself with the rules and requirements of pet ownership, as they may differ from what you're used to.

    Instead, you might like to foster an animal if keeping a long-term pet is not an option. Not only will you be given the basic supplies, but you can also enjoy the company for a while before they get adopted into th perfect home.

  • What support services are available for renters in WA?

    In Western Australia, renters can access a range of support services:

    • Tenancy WA offers free advice and advocacy, while Consumer Protection WA provides guidance on consumer rights.
    • The Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA) manages rental bonds and helps with disputes.
    • The Financial Counselling Helpline assists renters facing financial difficulties, and community legal centers offer legal advice.

    It's advisable to contact these organisations directly for the latest information and specific services available.

  • What should I expect when living with housemates?
    • Food and groceries

    From the start, set up a system for grocery shopping and clearly define which food items are meant to be shared. Refrain from eating anything that doesn't belong to you or isn't marked as a communal item.

    • Guest etiquette

    Keeping open lines of communication with your housemates is key when it comes to dealing with guests. It's important to establish guidelines regarding the duration of their stay, when they can be around, and which areas or rooms are considered shared spaces.

    • Cleaning

    Think about setting up a cleaning schedule, taking into account that different housemates may have preferences for specific tasks. Remember, you're still in charge of handling your own dishes, laundry and keeping your personal space neat and tidy.

    • Rent

    Ensure you stay on top of rent payments and send them to the correct recipient without delay. It could be either a head housemate if that's the arrangement, or you might need to make individual payments to the real estate agent or landlord.

    • Bills

    Make sure you've got a plan for splitting and paying the bills. Usually, one person would be in charge of handling the bills. Make sure they're paid on time, similar to your rent, to steer clear of any household disputes.

    • Moving out

    Always be prepared if someone decides to move out. Ahead of time, it's best to figure out what the process will look like and how much notice they should give you, and whether you need to inform your property manager or landlord.

Join our Facebook Group!

Join the Perth International Student Group on Facebook as rooms and properties located near universities and other education institutions are regularly advertised. It's a great way to connect with current international students in Perth, Western Australia.

Join now and start connecting!