Our public transport system is always expanding in and around the city. It's never been easier to explore Perth, be it from Fremantle to Joondalup and everywhere in between.

When it comes to getting around, public transport is a great resource and in some areas, students travel cheaply or for free! All Central Area Transit (CAT) buses within the Perth, Fremantle and Joondalup zones are free for everyone. As an international student, you receive a 40% discount on all public transport throughout Western Australia.

Explore your options below

Perth’s public transport system is divided into travel zones and is designed to be easy to use for anyone visiting our city. We have a safe, modern network of buses, trains and ferries, which is always expanding to meet the needs of our growing city.

You can use any combination of these three services on one ticket. Travel fares are valid for up to three hours and are determined by the number of zones you travel through during your journey.

To view public transport timetables and maps, visit Transperth.

Learn More

Metered taxis operate throughout Perth. You can book a taxi by phone, online, with an app from your smartphone or by waiting at taxi ranks located at transport terminals, main hotels and shopping centres. You can also sihail taxis on the street.

Uber is a car service that connects you with a reliable ride in minutes. Whether you want to head to the airport, the city or around Perth, you can connect with an Uber driver through the Uber app. A driver will pick you up from an agreed location and will take you where you need to go. Payment is completed through a credit card on the app.

Download the Uber app and use the code studyperth to get your first ride in Perth free (up to $20).

You may decide to purchase your own car or motorcycle while you are studying in Perth. If you will be in Australia for less than three months, you can drive with an international driver’s license. (You must carry a translation if the document is not in English.)

If you plan on staying longer than three months, you will need to obtain an Australian driver’s license by taking a test on our country’s highway codes and regulations.

If you purchase a car, please be aware that you will be responsible for the vehicle’s registration, repairs, fuel, insurance and service costs.

Your registration will also include compulsory Third Party Insurance, which will cover any personal injury to other people if you have an accident. This will not cover you for any damage to your car, or any other cars or property involved in a crash. It also will not cover you if you’re injured in a single-vehicle crash, so we always recommend that you get proper car insurance and health insurance before arriving in Australia.

With Perth’s sunny climate and level terrain, cycling is a fantastic way to travel around the city.

Perth has an excellent and expanding network of on-road and off-road cycle paths. You can bring your own bike or buy/hire one when you arrive. Don’t forget a helmet as well – it’s a legal requirement in Australia for all cyclists to wear helmets.

You can download cycle maps and guides from the Department of Transport. This site also provides details on cycling events, news, stories and other topics about bike-riding throughout Perth.