International student accommodation is as varied as the requirements of students themselves! Perth has many options available to suit your needs.

If you are a secondary school student, you must live in a homestay with an Australian family or in the school’s boarding facilities.

If you aged 18 years or older, you can choose to live on-campus, in a homestay or in a shared rental house/apartment with other students or friends. You may even choose to stay at Perth newest dedicated student accommodation providers: Campus Perth, or The Boulevard, managed by The Student Housing Company.

On-Campus Student Accommodation

Cost: $90 to $280AUD per week

Western Australia’s universities and some vocational institutions offer full-time students a variety of accommodation options such as apartments, residential colleges or halls of residence.

Halls of residence are located on or near the campus grounds. They usually consist of up to six rooms per unit with a communal living room and kitchen. Your fees will include some cleaning services, with some residences also providing meals.

Residential colleges are slightly more expensive and provide accommodation with meals. They may also have sporting and social facilities, tutoring, libraries and computer facilities.

Each institution will have different accommodation options, so it is best to enquire with the institution directly to discuss on-campus accommodation. 

View Institutions


Cost: $235 to $325AUD per week

Homestay means living with an Australian family for all or part of your study period. It is a great way to learn conversational English and experience first-hand the friendly Western Australian lifestyle and culture.

Single or shared rooms are usually available. Meals are usually included, but cheaper self-catering homestay options are available. As you will be living in someone else’s home, you will be expected to clean up after yourself, especially in shared areas.

Search Homestays

Boarding Schools

Cost: $11,000 to $22,000AUD per year

Many private secondary schools provide accommodation, meals and laundry services for international students. Tuition fees are in addition to the boarding fees. You will live in a dormitory with other students of the same sex and will be supervised by adults.

Search Boarding Schools

Renting Your Own Property

Cost: $165 to $444AUD per week

If you want to be completely independent, you can rent a property and share living expenses with other students or friends. Rental properties are advertised on the Real Estate Institute of Western Australia (REIWA) website, in Perth’s local newspapers and online.

As with most capital cities, the rental market in Perth is competitive: you will need to make sure you have done some research and have a reliable source of income before you start looking. As most properties are unfurnished, you will also need to purchase electrical items, furniture, bedding and kitchen utensils. You will usually need to pay four weeks’ rent upfront (known as the ‘bond’) as well as cover the costs for connecting the electricity, gas, telephone and internet.

Search Rental Properties

Renting A Room

If you cannot afford the upfront costs of renting a property, you may want to consider renting a room. Students and families often rent out furnished spare rooms in their houses and apartments, as this can be a great way to live independently without the expense of renting on your own.

Search Rooms For Rent

Youth Hostels and Guest Houses

Cost: $90 to $160AUD per week

Hostels are either privately-owned or run by not-for-profit organisations such as Youth Hostels Australia (YHA). Perth City YHA as well as Fremantle Prison YHA offer dedicated Twin Share and Single Student Rooms with personal desks and five-star facilities like a swimming pool, movie room, communal kitchen and a shared bathroom. You can also search for privately-owned youth hostels in Perth.

Search Perth Hostels