Safe return of international students to Western Australia (BACKUP)

Western Australia's border is now open!

International students can now return to Perth, Western Australia.

We look forward to welcoming more international students to our beautiful state.

Read the latest travel advice   Plan your travel to Perth

Financial Support for International Students


  • What is the purpose of the fund?

    The fund is to support those international students who had to go into self-quarantine when they entered Western Australia between 20 January and 2 March 20.

    If you are one of these students, there will be an application form that you will need to fill out, and if eligible you will receive a $2,000 payment – paid into your bank account.

    The fund is being managed by the Department of Jobs, Tourism, Science and Innovation. When applications open there will be a detailed set of guidelines, which you should read before you start filling out your application. Everything you need to know is in the guidelines.

  • Do students have to spend the money on anything in particular?

    No, you can spend the money on anything you like. You likely would have had to pay for your self-quarantine period, so this money is to renumerate you for the money already spent.

  • How do students know if they are eligible for the $2000 payment?

    You are eligible if you meet two criteria:

    1. You are an international student enrolled in a course here in WA that is for one month or longer and starts this semester. You can be at a secondary school or higher education, including vocational training, English language etc. The only group not eligible is primary school students or younger.
    2. You entered WA between 20 January and 2 March 2022, and you had to go into self-quarantine when you arrived.
  • If international students arrived in Perth after 2 March 2022, and didn’t need to quarantine, are they eligible for this payment?

    No, they are not eligible for this payment.

  • If Australian students had to quarantine when they came into WA to study, are they eligible?

    No, all of the programs mentioned here are only available to international students.

  • I know international students have to fill in an application form to get the self-quarantine payment. How do they prove they are eligible for it?

    There are two main pieces of information you have to provide to show you are eligible:

    • Copy of your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) which every international student entering Australia has. You needed this form to get your student visa. This form shows that you are enrolled at a particular institution and how long your course is.
    • Copy of your G2G Pass approval. That one page gives you the instruction to quarantine and shows where you nominated to quarantine. You will need to upload that approval.
  • Are there other documents students need to upload, besides the COE and G2G pass?

    Yes, you will have to upload the following:

    • A copy of your travel documents. These documents could be your airline ticket or your boarding pass – they must show your name and the date you travelled to WA. This is additional evidence that you travelled here within the quarantine period, which is 20 January to 2 March.
    • A recent bank account statement. This is so that the Government knows where to pay your $2000.
  • If a student came into Perth on 28 February 2022, and only quarantined for 3 nights and then left quarantine on 3 March, are they still eligible for the full $2000 payment?

    Yes, as long as you were instructed by WA Police to self-quarantine and spent at least one night doing so, you are eligible for the full payment.

  • I understand that students must have an Australian bank account to apply for the payment. What does that mean?

    The payments are being made by the State Government of Western Australia, and they must be made into a bank here in Australia. They won’t be sent offshore.

    When referring to an Australian bank account, this does not refer to Australian owned banks. It could be that your existing bank from your home country operates here in Australia – as long as your bank has an Australian BSB code, which is the code that identifies the bank and branch here in Australia, this bank would be suitable.

    Please see the 63 most popular banks operating here in Australia.

    Alternatively, you can open an account at one of the many Australian banks around Perth. You’ll find that you’ll need an Australian bank account if you are looking to get a job here in WA because employers here pay directly into your bank account.

  • Is there anything else that students need to have at hand to fill in the application form?

    As well as filling in your personal details and providing the information mentioned above, you’ll also need to provide your:

    • Student number from the institution you are studying at.
    • Unique Student Identifier (USI) which all students in Australia get from the Commonwealth Government. If you don’t yet have a USI number, the guidelines for the grant program will have a link to getting one.
  • Some students have already registered on the State Government website for the payment. Does everyone need to have registered before they formally apply?

    No, you don’t need to have registered upfront. If you have registered, the Department will email you a link to the guidelines and the application form when it opens.

    For those who have not registered, that is fine too. Once applications open, StudyPerth let students know through their social channels and newsletter – and provide the link as well. International students will just need to go to the website link and read the guidelines before you start the application form.

  • Do students need to have everything to hand before they start the application form?

    Not exactly.  It does make things a little easier if you do, and the guidelines will tell you in detail what you need. But if you start the application form and then realise you need to get something or check something, you can save the form and go back to it later. You’ll have until the deadline to submit the form, which we understand is sometime in May. The exact deadline will be contained in the guidelines when they are published.

  • How long will it take for students to receive their $2000 payment?

    Once you’ve applied for the $2,000 payment, the Department will undertake an assessment of your application. This is to make sure you are who you say you are and that you are eligible. As a final check, your education provider is asked to confirm your enrolment – and then you are paid. Depending on how many students apply for the payment, this process could take 6 to 8 weeks before you get your payment.

    Don’t be concerned if the process takes a little while. The Government is not trying to exclude you from the payment. They just have to be thorough as this is taxpayers’ money being paid out and they have lots of rules that they need to follow.

  • Can students ask the Government department questions as they are filling in their application?

    Yes, you can contact the Government department if you have questions – the guidelines will have an email address for you to send your questions to.

    You’ll also be sent confirmation emails when you lodge your application, and when you have been successful and when payment has been made. If you aren’t successful, you will also be notified.

  • I’ve heard that there are other payments from the WA Government for international students studying here in WA. What are they?

    There are two other payment programs for international students that will open soon for applications.

    One is the Government’s $1,500 Accommodation Subsidy and the other is a $1,500 ELICOS Bursary. Any student who has received the Self-Quarantine payment can also apply for the other payments – although the eligibility criteria is a little different for each payment.

    To be eligible for the $1,500 Accommodation Subsidy you need to be studying in WA for a course at least a year in length and studying full-time in WA during semester one 2022 – your education provider confirms that is the case.

    To be eligible for the $1,500 ELICOS Bursary, you must be studying an English language course that is 20 weeks or longer, and you have to be 10 weeks into your course before you can get the payment – this is again checked with your education provider.

    When these payment programs are closer to being launched and we have more information, we will do another Q&A on them, to help you work out if you can apply.

If at any point you are required to undertake a COVID-19 test and self-isolate, you may apply for a support payment such as the Western Australia COVID-19 Test Isolation Payment or the Australian Government’s Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment.

To identify all of the financial support the Western Australian Government is offering to students, please monitor the Department of Jobs, Tourism, Science and Innovation's website.

The previously announced Reconnect WA package is also expected to continue. 

Other Frequently Asked Questions

Last update: 15 March 2022

StudyPerth remains committed to supporting international students every step of the way. We have compiled some frequently asked questions (FAQs) which are regularly updated so please check back often and subscribe for the latest updates.

  • What are the COVID-19 vaccination requirements for international students entering Western Australia?

    All international students must be double vaccinated with a TGA approved vaccine to enter Australia.

    If a student is eligible for a COVID Booster in their home country, they should have that before travelling.

    However, if not eligible, students can have their COVID-19 booster shot in Western Australia. Bookings can be made on the Roll Up For WA website.

  • Where and how can I get my booster shot after arriving in Western Australia?

    If you are eligible for a COVID-19 booster shot, you may find a comprehensive list of vaccination providers in Western Australia on the Roll Up WA website.

    Vaccines are free for everyone, even for those who do not have Medicare. If this is the case, please visit the Department of Health's Vaccine Clinic Finder to help you find vaccination centres.

  • What evidence do international students need to provide if they have been fully vaccinated overseas?

    Full information regarding proof of vaccination for COVID-19 vaccinations received overseas can be viewed on the WA Government website.

  • How can an international student have their COVID-19 Vaccination status recorded with the Australian Immunisation Register?

    For returning and new students with an overseas COVID-19 vaccination, students need go to a registered vaccination provider in WA (like a GP or pharmacy) and show their foreign vaccination certificate to organise to have their COVID-19 vaccination recorded with the Australian Immunisation Register.

    They will then be issued with a COVID-19 Certificate, which will be recognised by the ServiceWA App when they may be able to use it.

  • I am not vaccinated due to a medical condition. Am I eligible to enter WA and what are the requirements?

    As an unvaccinated eligible visa holder, you will need a valid travel exemption to enter Australia. 

    Commonwealth requirements to enter Australia

    To access the same travel arrangements as fully vaccinated travellers, you must provide acceptable proof that you cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons (vaccine exempt). You will need to show airline staff a medical certificate that indicates you are unable to be vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine because of a medical condition. The medical certificate must be in English and include the following information:

    • Your name (this must match your travel identification documents)
    • Date of medical consultation and details of your medical practitioner
    • Details that clearly outline that you have a medical condition which means you cannot receive a COVID-19 vaccination (vaccination is contraindicated).

    Please see the Department of Health website for further information. You are responsible for ensuring your proof meets these requirements. Airlines will request your certificate at check-in.
    WA entry requirements to enter WA

    On meeting the above Commonwealth requirements, you must meet the following WA quarantine and post-arrival testing requirements to enter WA:

    Interstate arrivals

    • You will need to fit under an approved category, additional requirements and vaccination requirements. Until that is approved, then you can head on to quarantine, provided you have an approved G2G Pass.
    • Vaccination requirements also include a person is who ineligible and produces evidence or is vaccine exempt and produces accepted proof of vaccination exemption.
    • Once you are officially an interstate traveler, you are required to self-quarantine, unless given other specific directions from officials. This includes modified quarantine, which will be sent to students through the G2G Pass.

    International arrivals

    A direct international arrival who enters Western Australia and does not meet both the vaccination requirements and the additional requirements must comply with the centre quarantine requirements.