Jobs In Perth

There are many jobs available in Perth for international students while you study and after you graduate.

Working while you study is not only a great way to earn some extra money, it will give you the chance to be part of the community and experience Perth’s way of life. It’s also a great way to practice your English if you are not a native speaker.

There are a wide variety of full and part-time jobs in Perth for international students. Check out some of the information below on how to find a job in Perth.

Below is all the information you need to know, before looking for work in Perth.

If you are on a Student Visa (a full-time international student), you will have the opportunity to work casually or part-time for up to 40 hours per fortnight (two-week period), and unlimited hours during the semester break.

There are many casual and part-time jobs available throughout Perth in the areas of administration, hospitality, retail, aged-care and housekeeping or cleaning.

As a casual employee, you have no guaranteed hours of work and do not get paid leave entitlements. To compensate this, casual work will be paid at a higher hourly rate. An adult (aged 18 years or over) can expect to earn a minimum of $19.49AUD per hour.

As a part-time employee, you will work fewer than 38 hours per week and will have the same leave benefits as a full-time employee, at a rate in proportion to the amount of time you work.

As an international student who is working while studying, you have the same work rights as any Australian citizen to a safe and fair workplace.

The Fair Work Ombudsman website will tell you everything you need to know about your pay, holidays and time off, as well as other entitlements and what to expect when your job ends.

You can also use the Pay Calculator to work out what you can expect to be paid while working in Perth.

Your Tax File Number (TFN) is your personal reference number in Australia's tax system. You can apply for a TFN online once you have your visa and have arrived in Australia. You should apply for your TFN before you start work or soon after. 

While it is not a requirement, if you choose to work in Australia you should get a TFN to avoid paying more tax than you have to. It is free too!

Careers after graduating

After you graduate you will have the opportunity to start your career in Perth and begin working in your chosen field. You will see graduate positions open up and will be given the opportunity to work in one of Western Australia’s leading industries.

Western Australia’s workforce offers world-leading wages and will provide you with the skills and experience you need to improve your career opportunities internationally.

Before graduating, consider applying for a Temporary Graduate visa which will allow you to work in Australia for two to four years post-study.