Tips When Looking For Part Time Or Casual Work While Studying In Perth

23 April 2020

During our studies, many of us choose to complement our studies with casual or part-time work.

Not only does this allow us to earn an income – always helpful when there is so much to see and do around Perth! – but it also helps us to make new friends and industry connections, improve English language skills, and gain an experience of an Australian workplace environment.

As an international student, if you are keen to get casual part time work, here are some tips we have prepared to help you!


Working on a student visa

On a valid student visa, you can work for up to 40 hours per fortnight (14 days) while classes are in session, and unlimited hours when class is not in session.

There are many ways to look for local jobs, with options available to suit your study schedule and lifestyle. But before you jump into searching for jobs, we suggest you do your paperwork and familiarise yourself with your rights as a worker in Australia.


Applying for a Tax File Number

One of first thing to do in preparation for job hunting is to apply for a Tax File Number (TFN). This will ensure you get taxed at the correct rate for the amount of work you are doing.

The easiest way to apply for your free Tax File Number is to submit an online application through the Australian Taxation Office website.

Once you have found a job, you will not pay tax if you earn under the tax-free threshold of $18,200 (AUD) in one year. If you earn over this amount in one year, you will need to complete a tax return at the end of the financial year.


Understanding your rights

International students have the same workplace rights as all other workers in Australia! This covers all manner of work-related rights including, but not limited to, leave entitlements, hours of work, performance management and payment.

The Fair Work Ombudsman website has information about work rights in 40 languages. Check it out today – just select your preferred language in the top right corner of their website.

We also recommend you check the conditions for your particular visa using the Australian Government’s Department of Home Affairs website.


Looking for jobs

Here’s the fun part – looking for jobs! To help you along, we have put together a list of some of the best, official places to look for work online:


Studyperth Profilepicture

About Author

In collaboration with governments, educational institutions and stakeholders, StudyPerth provides a leadership role in building the profile of international education in WA and overseas.