Having a support network of friends is important for all of us.
Friends in a new country help us learn about our new home and the cultural differences you may experience. Friends can also support us when we need help with studies, are looking for somewhere new to go during free time, or are feeling a little homesick.
We know that making friends can be a bit daunting, so we have put together some ideas to to help you meet new people and make new friends.
Where to meet new people
The potential for meeting new people is limitless, but the best place to start is in class! You see your peers almost every day so they are the best source of information about your coursework, lecturers and anything else you want to know about studying in Perth at your institution. They will also be able to tell you about on-campus student network groups that you can join.
Other great ways to meet new people include:
- Facebook groups for new people in Perth (such as the ‘I am an international student in Perth’ private Facebook group)
- Joining a volunteering group
- Public speaking groups such as Toastmasters
- Using your sporting prowess and joining a local sporting club
- Attending local events around where you live and in the city, such as Fringe Festival or Perth Festival
- Join your local church or place of worship
- Walking your dog or going to a dog park
- Professional networking events such as IEAA Young Professionals and #SMPerth drinks
- Have you heard of the Welcome to Dinner Project? This is a great way for newly arrive people to connect with established Australians in the comfort of their own home.
- Add Befriend
Australians are fairly relaxed people, and they like to have a chat. Don’t be afraid to say hello!
Want to try out a few Australian phrases? Here are a few to get you started:
- Arvo – Afternoon
- Barbie – Barbeque (or grill)
- Brekky – Breakfast
- G’day – Hello
- No worries – No problem / it’s ok
- Stoked – Happy, pleased
- Togs or bathers - swimmers
No matter where you go or what you say, use your interests to get the conversation started! Whether you like music, coffee, art, cooking, games or anything else, there is always something to talk about with people in Perth.
What are you waiting for… strike up a conversation today, and you’re well on your way to making a new friend!
Tag @studyperth on your Facebook, Instagram or Twitter posts and tell us how you met your newest friend in Perth.