International Student Accommodation in Perth

International Student Accommodation is as varied as the requirements of the students themselves! Perth has many options available that would suit your study program.

If you are a secondary school student, you must live in a homestay with an Australian family or in the school’s boarding facilities. If you are 18 years of age or older, you can choose to live on-campus, in a homestay or in a shared rental house/apartment with other students or friends.

We’ve put together a guide to the different student accommodation in Perth below to get you started.

Cost: $235 to $325 per week

Homestay means living with an Australian family for all or part of your study period. It is a great opportunity for you to learn conversational English and experience first-hand the friendly Western Australian lifestyle and culture.

Single or shared rooms are available. Meals are usually included, but cheaper self-catering homestay is available. As you will be living in someone else’s home, you will be expected to clean up after yourself, especially in shared areas.

Cost: $11,000 to $22,000 per year

Many private secondary schools provide accommodation, meals and laundry services for international students. Tuition fees are in addition to the boarding fees. You will live in a dormitory with other students of the same sex and will be supervised by adults.

Cost: $90 to $280 per week

Western Australia’s five universities and some vocational institutions offer full-time students a variety of accommodation such as apartments, residential colleges or halls of residence.

Halls of residence are located on or near the campus grounds. They usually consist of up to six rooms per unit with a communal living room and kitchen. Your board will include some cleaning services, with some residences also providing meals.

Residential colleges are slightly more expensive and provide accommodation with meals. They may also have sporting and social facilities, tutoring, libraries and computer facilities.

Cost: $165 to $444 per week

If you want to be completely independent, you can rent a property and share living expenses with other students or friends. Rental properties are advertised on the Real Estate Institute of Western Australia (REIWA) website and in Perth’s local newspapers.

As with most capital cities, the rental market in Perth is competitive and you will need to make sure you have done some research and have a reliable source of income before you start looking. As most properties are unfurnished, you will also need to purchase electrical items, furniture, bedding and kitchen utensils. You will usually need to pay four weeks’ rent upfront (known as bond) as well as cover the costs for connecting the electricity, gas, telephone and internet.

If you cannot afford the upfront costs of renting a property, you may want to consider renting a room. Students and families often rent out furnished spare rooms in their houses and apartments, and this can be a great way to live independently without the expense of renting on your own.

Cost: $90 to $160 per week

Hostels are either privately-owned or run by non for profit organisations such as Youth Hostels Australia (YHA). Perth City YHA as well as Fremantle Prison YHA offer dedicated Twin Share and Single Student Rooms with personal desks and 5 star facilities like a swimming pool, movie room, communal kitchen and a shared bathroom. You can also search for privately-owned youth hostels in Perth.

In boarding schools and university halls of residence you will only share rooms with people of the same sex. With all other types of accommodation, you will need to specify if you prefer to share with either men-only or women-only.

NOTE: All costs are in Australian dollars and are approximate costs only.


How do I find international student accommodation?

Your Western Australian educational institution will provide you with help in finding accommodation and understanding contracts such as leases and tenancy agreements.

Student noticeboards and newspapers often advertise rooms, apartments and houses for rent. Some institutions also post accommodation vacancies on their website.

If you’re looking online, the below websites are a good place to start for rentals and flat share:

Another great way to find a room in a flat share is through Facebook groups. You can request to join one of these groups and review the advertisements other young people post about rooms and rentals:

Back to article search