Where to find help

The first few months in any new country are a time of great adjustment. It may be your first time away from home and like many other international students, you may find it difficult living, working and studying in an unfamiliar language.

When you need help, the International Office at your education institution is the best place to start. They are there to assist you with anything you need, from setting up a bank account to managing your course enrolment. You should introduce yourself to the International Office soon after arriving in Australia and start making use of their services. If your institution does not have an International Office, talk to the student administration staff.

If you need somebody to talk to, your institution will also have student counsellors who are there to listen and give advice when you’re having trouble adjusting to life in a new country, as well as advise you on social and welfare issues.

Career counsellors are also available to help you decide on further study and career opportunities.