Taking care of your safety

International students in Perth enjoy a safe and secure study environment. However, as with anywhere you travel, you should always be aware of your surroundings and take precautions, especially when going out at night.


The Western Australian Police are approachable and will always offer assistance, even if you just need directions to the train station.

Campus Security  

Tertiary institutions have 24-hour security guards on patrol, emergency telephones and swipe-card access into buildings. The security guards will escort you to your on-campus residence or car if you are studying late in the library.

Tertiary institutions also have active women's groups and sometimes a women's common room. All education institutions have effective procedures in dealing with sexual harassment.

Car insurance

If you intend to buy a car, ask your insurance company for a no claims letter before you leave home. Car insurance can be expensive in Australia, particularly for young people. Most no claims bonuses are transferable to Australian insurance companies.

Travel insurance 

Make sure you have enough cover for yourself and your possessions, for the entire duration of your stay. Check that your policy covers you if you intend to work overseas.

Australian laws

As an international student in Australia, you will be subject to all state and federal laws. The legal age for buying/consuming cigarettes and alcohol is 18 years of age. You must also hold a current drivers licence to drive a car, scooter or motorbike.

Remember - if you break the law (depending on the offence) your student visa could be cancelled and you may be deported.