Jobs In Perth

There are many opportunities to work in Perth while you study and after you graduate. Working while you study is not only a great way to earn some extra money, it will give you the chance to be part of our community and experience our way of life. It’s also a great way to work on your English if you’re not a native speaker.

It would be great to find a job that relates to your field of study, but this is not always possible due to
visa restrictions, skills, qualifications and/or language requirements.

Perth offers a wide variety of jobs and we encourage you to approach employment and study here in the same way – as opportunities that will reward your work with exciting new experiences and valuable skills.

Below is all the information you need to know, before looking for work in Perth.

If you are on a student visa (a full-time international student), you will have the opportunity to work casually or part-time for up to 40 hours per fortnight (2-week period), and unlimited hours during semester break.

Find out more

There are casual and part-time jobs available throughout Perth in the areas of administration, hospitality, retail, house-keeping/cleaning and aged-care.

As a casual employee, you have no guaranteed hours of work and do not get paid leave. To compensate this, casual work will be paid at a higher hourly rate. You can expect to earn between $8-28 per hour. Hourly rates depend on your age, the kind of work you do and the days you work.

As a part-time employee, you will work less than 38 hours per week and will have the same leave benefits as a full-time employee at a rate in proportion to the amount of time you work.

Find out more

As an International Student who is working while studying, you have the same work rights as any Australian citizen to a safe and fair workplace.

The Fair Work Ombudsman website will tell you everything you need to know about your pay, holidays and time-off as well as other entitlements and what to expect when your job ends.

You can also use the Pay Calculator to work out what you can expect to be paid while working in Perth.

Find out more

Your Tax File Number (TFN) is your personal reference number in our tax system. You can apply for a TFN online once you have your visa and have arrived in Australia. You should apply for your TFN before you start work or soon after.

While it is not a requirement, if you choose to work in Australia you should get a TFN to avoid paying more tax than you have to. It is free too!

Find out more

*Note the above information is to be used as a guide and has been sourced from the following websites:


Back to article search